Nano-coating using NaOH
All materials can be Nano-coated. In Plasma Technology Copper is basically used for the biggest part of applications, but also e.g. Zink for the production of ZnO GANS.
In order to coat Copper (Zinc) wires or plates, you will need:
- A plastic container with lid (not too big)
- Weights for weighing down the lid
- Ready-wound Copper (Zinc) coil, wires or plates
- ~ 50 grams of pure NaOH powder or beads on 1 Liter destilled water. (Do not use drain cleaners. You can buy it in art shops; it is used to remove paint as alkaline-based stripper, or in chemist's/drugstore)
- ´1 or more Liters of distilled water (according to the quantity of coils and size of the plastic container) (e.g. 3 L water and ~150 grams of NaOH)
- Electric kettle or stove top to boil water
Phase 1: Caustic bath (2 to 3 days)
- A Zinc grid (can be a mesh, which is Zinc coated) is placed at the bottom of the plastic container.
- Scatter just enough NaOH powder to cover the entire bottom of the container.
- Before placing the plates in the container, you can drill a small hole at the top corners of the plate(s).
- Hang the coils and/or plates directly in the container, so that they do not touch each other and the container
- Place the lid, slightly askew, on the container. Leave a small opening.
- Boil distilled water and pour it (boiling) into the container via the opening until water covers all the coils and/or the plates.
- Quickly close the opening by placing the lid correctly on the container.
- If necessary, place a weight on the lid to ensure as little steam as possible escapes.
- Leave the container in this state for 24 hours, place the container on a warm location (ideal 30°C to 40°C)
IMPORTANT: The entire Nano-material needs to be covered completely in the Caustic bath!
Caution: During the pouring of boiling water, steam will escapes. Please wear protective glasses and protective gloves during this process.
Phase 2: Growing of Nano-Layers (min. 2 days)
- After 2 to 3 days have passed, remove most of the water of the container and leave about 5mm liquid at the bottom of the plastic container
- Let stand at least for 2 days on a warm place or directly in the sun. (30-40 degrees are optimal. So it is steaming, it has a little moisture and new Nano-layers can build up. The longer this process goes on, the more layers can build up and the stronger the coating is.)
- Every 6 hours, take a multimeter (set on mv) and touch with the negative pole one end of the plate and with the positive pole at several positions to drain the plate(s) voltage. (The values on the multimeter are jumping).
- For coils, if its a double coil, touch the coil with the negative pole of a multimeter at the positive pole of the coil and touch the positive pole of the multimeter at the negative pole of the coil for a few seconds, to drain the voltage out of the coil(s). (With the multimeter the current flows from minus to plus, while with the coils the flow direction is from plus to minus. By touching with both ends of the multimeter, current is sent through the Nano-coating, which aligns it in the desired flow. With plates for the GANS production this can also be done accordingly, but it does not has to be done in the flow direction necessarily.)
- With optimum nano-coating, the plate or coils are uniformly black everywhere.
- When this process is completed, never touch the Nano-coating and ensure the coils and/or plates never touch each other.
Caution: Use protective glasses and protective gloves during this process.
Phase 3: Wash the Nano-material
- Wash the plates and coils several times, using hand-warm water (additionally you can add a few drops of citrus acid into the wash water to make sure, that no Sodium residues is left over for the next step of producing GANSes. Wash it of again only with hand-warm water.)
- Let them dry again slowly (do not heat and pile the material, hang it again), coils and plates should never touch each other
The more often you repeat the process (Phase 2 and 3), the stronger the Nano-coating becomes.
Prepare Nano-coated material for GANS-production
Before you go into the production of GANS you have to wash the Nano-coated material, otherwise you add the Caustic plates or coils immediately into your containers of GANS production. As long as you do not need your plates, leave them in your container, you can store them there, without washing. As soon as you wash your plates or coils, you stop the growth of Nano-layers.